Thursday, February 9, 2012

Done Unassisted Ring Dips (40/366)


"Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them."
~
Lee Haney


Today's CrossFit WOD (Workout Of the Day) was at the end of a very tiring 3-day "on" cycle. It was:
5 RFT (Rounds For Time):
Run 800m (about half a mile)
9
Muscle Ups

Boo! While I have been working on my upper body strength this year, I'm still heavier than I'd like, and of course have yet to do a muscle up. This is one of the movements that I dream of being able to do one day. I'm working on it, but I have a long way to go.

One of the first things you need to have before you start attempting muscle ups is unassisted ring dips. This means you have to be able to hold yourself up on the rings, with your arms straight and elbows locked out, then be able to dip your body downwards so that your triceps are parallel to the ground, and push yourself back up to the starting position. Even though I thought I was pretty fit when I started CrossFit, I was never able to do unassisted ring dips before. Today, just like with the
handstand pushups from last week, I thought I really should try these again since I've been working on my shoulders.


As you can see in the video, I was super surprised that I could do these. Even though I'm at my heaviest, my upper body work is starting to pay off. I just have to keep working hard, and soon those muscle ups will be mine.

Related Links:
ProSource Exercise Fitness Gymnastic Rings

No comments:

Post a Comment